Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bad Bad Blogger!



I've been a bad, bad blogger.  

I know I've been MIA for longer than I care to admit.

Honestly, I'd hit a wall.  I had a to-the-death struggle with the fabric from this post:


Remember this stuff?  

Well, I dug it back out, pinned the ever-loving crap out of it.

And got a not-to-ugly baby quilt out of it.  Actually, I think that it'll be really fun for a baby to play with.  My sister-in-law is expecting their first and they're not finding out what they're having.  
I couldn't ever do that.  I'd for sure go completely insane.  
They're doing red, white, and black for the nursery to match those eye development toys that you can find.  

Let me tell you, baby fabric doesn't come in red, white, or black!!

So, while I actually did do some sewing I couldn't share it until after the shower.  So, here is my quilt of death.  

I just hope the baby doesn't smother on it.  This thing is sooo hairy!!  I ended up just putting the fabric right-sides together and sewing it like a pillow, flipping it right-side out at the end, and putting a finishing edge on it.  Instead of quilting it (yeah right, like that was going to happen with this hairy thing) I just tacked it at every corner.  It was so heavy I felt like batting would be over kill and only needed if they someday moved to the Arctic. 

With several attempts at this monstrosity I ended up with several extra squares that I didn't need. (read: I had to cut off TONS of mistakes and this left scraps out the wazoo)

So I found this really cute fabric basket pattern: here
Of course, I have no CLUE what-so-ever when it comes to visualizing things from measurements.  I need photos that have objects in them so I can see things to scale!  
Any way, I made this little bugger as a little toy box or maybe hamper.  


Nope.
It's a wipe holder.
Way smaller than I planned.
But it's still pretty cute.

But this little book is the thing I'm most excited by.


It's made out of two 13x13" quilt squares, folded in half with cereal box bags inside for the crinkle sound!  
And miraculously it actually works!

(did I mention this would be a really long, rambling post?! Serves me right for being gone so long!)

This little lady had her very first day of Kindergarten today. 

She was more than a little nervous about that bus.  She looks so small with that huge backpack on!


But when the bus came she got on like a trooper.  Never looked back!  Good thing because this Mommy was crying like a baby.

Good luck baby girl!  That school won't know what hit them!

And now, in other news...(said with my most impressive news caster voice)

All of you prayer warriors out there.  Keep my little man Jackson in your thoughts.  We just found out that his little kidney is failing.  No clue yet as to why but we meet with the awesome Drs. at Children's Mercy in KC next week to find out what's next.  Not good news when they call and tell you that urology is going to refer you over to nephrology.  His new dr. deals mostly with transplants and pediatric dialysis.  

Not the words every mom dreams of hearing.     

But he's such a brave little guy.  We're just thankful that they've caught whatever it is at such an early age.  He wasn't having any problems that we knew of and was actually having a sono for a follow up of something completely unrelated and a REALLY AWESOME dr. saw something he thought was a little off at the very edge of the picture...

I woke up this morning to see this by the back door.







4 comments:

  1. Welcome back!
    Poor Jackson - what a good call though, hopefully all will be OK soon xx
    Glad the hairy monster got resolved with less of an ordeal, and the extras are cool.
    Twin2 has just looked horrified that your little one has gone on the bus on her own - in 3 weeks mine will have finished their first full day in Reception!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca! So glad to see you back! The hairy beasty is cute regardless of the torture it put you through. Nice job on the basket and the busy book. What a cute idea!

    Your little Kindergirl is such a cutie! Putting those little ones on the bus is so hard!

    We will for sure keep your Jackson in our prayers. You were very blessed to have a doctor that was paying attention.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to have you back. Let's not make any more "quilts of death" and here is one way to avoid that: It is not only the month for Halloween, but breast cancer awareness month!!! Treat yourself or a loved one because you care! I am just stopping by with a reminder to do your self breast exam.
    Here's a fun place to start! Everybody loves boob lube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8pIHy2GRI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...